Next LAMSIG events:
Our most recent event was on March 20th, 2021 – our online Festival of Ideas. For more details please visit this page
For events during the current period of Covid-19 restrictions in language education, please see our special events page
For upcoming webinars, please go to the webinar page
English UK webinar in association with IATEFL LAMSIG
Self-management skills for 2021 and beyond
LAMSIG is sponsoring and supporting the English UK pre-conference fringe event on Thursday 16th January
Barcelona, February 7th-8th, 2020
The LAMSIG strand features
- Chris Farrell – Using classroom research for bottom up teacher development
- Andy Hockley – The Agile LTO
- Ania Kolbuszewska – What do I really want? Goals in conflict
- George Pickering – Title TBA
- Ferran Velasco – Goal setting as a self-management technique to improve yourself and your organizations
Other speakers at the conference include
Amy Blanchard, Antonia Clare, Ceri Jones, Dana Poklepovic, Danny Norrington-Davies, Hayley Burton, Jessica Mackay, Kat Robb, Kirsten Waechter, Lindsey Clark, Mark Hancock, Mauline Lawrence, Naomi McLatchie, Rachel Appleby, Rob Howard, Sandy Millin, Sarah Mercer, Scott Thornbury, Tanja Murphy-Ilibasic, Teresa Ting
Engagement – a new model of management and leadership
Employee engagement has become the top issue on the minds of many leaders in ELT, pointing towards an entirely new model of management and leadership.
But what does employee engagement even mean? What do these new models look like? How can they be known, shaped and implemented?
And once implemented in the institution how do we measure engagement and set benchmarks. and perhaps even “kitemarks”, to follow, and promote our institution as an employer of first choice.
This PCE day for LAMSIG investigates these issues and provides a forum for discussion, understanding and action. It will allow managers and leaders to hear from sector experts who have experience of building institutions where passion is valued and staff are proactive about adding value in their work while aligning with the institution’s mission and goals.
Specific questions to address:
- How can we raise the level of personal investment staff bring to work every day?
- What are the qualities we want to develop in engaged staff? How can these qualities be promoted, rewarded and valued?
- What can LTO leaders do to create a positive environment where decision making and values setting are shared and values-based work contracts are the norm
- Is there a place for “happiness initiatives”, employee engagement surveys and score-systems to measure and monitor engagement and the individual voice over time
- Is there a place for HR and L&D in building an engaged staff force? How can they promote fairness, openness and integrity in their processes – recruitment, promotion, learning & development, appraisal and duty of care – that give rise to better engagement?
LAMSIG is happy to announce our collaboration with InnovateELT for their conference in Barcelona on 15 and 16 May 2020. As part of our mission to provide development opportunities for our members globally, this collaboration allows us to bring together professionals in Europe and share best practice.
The themes of the conference are:
· The relevance of classroom practice to the future education and employment needs of English language students
· Practical ideas for sustainable classrooms, schools and publishing
· The wider context of changes in education, employment and the environment
Two of LAMSIG committee members, Jenny Johnson and Loraine Kennedy, are running one of the pre-conference Friday workshops: Moving towards sustainable ELT. You can find out more here: https://blog.innovateevents.com/ielt20/ielt20-friday-workshops-this-years-lineup/
As leaders in the ELT industry, it is our responsibility to look at sustainability and the environment and InnovateELT provides a great platform for us to explore this responsibility and develop some practical workable ideas. We look forward to seeing you in Barcelona in May 2020.
You can register for the conference here: https://events.eventzilla.net/